A visit to every State Capitol Building on my journey. All photos are shot with a GoPro Hero 7 black. Photos are available for purchase on canvas print. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
National Capitol in Washington DC
The United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., is a symbol of the American people and their government, the meeting place of the nation's legislature. The Capitol also houses an important collection of American art, and it is an architectural achievement in its own right. It is a working office building as well as a tourist attraction visited by millions every year.
Construction of the U.S. Capitol began in 1793. In November 1800, the U.S. Congress met in the first completed portion, the north wing. In the 1850s, major extensions to the North and South ends of the Capitol were authorized because of the great westward expansion of our nation and the resultant growth of Congress. Since that time, the U.S. Capitol and its stately dome have become international symbols of our representative democracy.
The U.S. Capitol Visitor Center is the newest addition to this historic complex. At nearly 580,000 square feet, the Visitor Center is the largest project in the Capitol's more than two-century history and is approximately three quarters the size of the Capitol itself. The entire facility is located underground on the east side of the Capitol so as not to detract from the appearance of the Capitol and the grounds designed by Frederick Law Olmsted in 1874.
Legislative Hall: The State Capitol of Delaware in Dover
Legislative Hall is a Georgian Revival colonial structure of handmade brick and it has an 18th century style interior. It was designed by Architect E. William Martin under the direction of the State Buildings and Grounds Commission created by Governor Buck in 1931. The commission was also instructed to acquire all the lands now known as the ‘Capital Square Complex’.
The building was expanded by the addition of North and South wings during the period 1965 - 1970 to give each legislator an office in addition to their desk in their chamber. George Fletcher Bennet, of Dover, was the architect.
The dedication of Legislative Hall took place in 1933. Legislative Hall replaced the State House which is located opposite Legislative Hall on the mall. Legislative Hall today provides formal chambers for the Senate and House of Representatives as well as the General Assembly’s nonpartisan staff agencies: The Division of Research and the Office of the Controller General. The Governor and Lt. Governor also have offices in the the building for their use while the General Assembly is in session.
Two additional wings were added on to the east side of the building in 1994. They were designed by The Architects Studio, a Wilmington based firm. The new addition provides more office space for legislators and their staff as well as hearing caucus rooms.
The entire interior of Legislative Hall was renovated in three phases during the summers of 1995, 1996 and 1997. The renovations were designed by the Wilmington architectural firm Moeckel, Carbonell Assoc., Inc. They include the refurbishment of both chambers, the lobby, cafeteria and many offices for legislators and staff.
THE BEAUTIFUL MARYLAND STATE HOUSE is the oldest state capitol in continuous legislative use and is the only state house ever to have served as the nation's capitol. The Continental Congress met in the Old Senate Chamber from November 26, 1783 to August 13, 1784. During that time, George Washington came before Congress to resign his commission as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army and the Treaty of Paris was ratified, marking the official end of the Revolutionary War.
The State House is where the Maryland General Assembly convenes for three months each year, and the elected leadership of the state — the governor, lieutenant governor, speaker of the House of Delegates and president of the Senate — all have their offices here.
The Virginia State Capitol, which Thomas Jefferson designed with Charles-Louis Clérisseau, was the first Roman Revival building in America and the first American public building in the form of a classic temple. The building was the site of significant events in American history while it was the Virginia State Capitol and in its role as the Capitol of the Confederate States of America from 1861 to 1865.
North Carolina State Capitol in Raleigh
Completed in 1840, this National Historic Landmark is one of the best-preserved examples of a civic building in Greek Revival-style architecture. It originally housed the governor's office, cabinet offices, legislative chambers, state library and state geologist's office. The building has been restored to its 1840 to 1865 appearance.
The South Carolina State House is the building housing the government of the U.S. state of South Carolina, which includes the South Carolina General Assemblyand the offices of the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina. Located in the capital city of Columbia near the corner of Gervais and Assembly Streets, the building also housed the Supreme Court until 1971.
The State House is in the Greek Revival style; it is approximately 180 feet (55 m) tall, 300 feet (91 m) long, 100 feet (30 m) wide. It weighs more than 70,000 short tons (64,000 t) and has 130,673 square feet (12,140 m2) of space.
Completed in 1889, the Georgia State Capitol is still a working government building, the Capitol's recent renovation offers visitors a unique experience in exploring Georgia both past and present. The Georgia Capitol Museum is a public educational institution housed in the Capitol building under the administration of the Office of Secretary of State. The Museum collects, maintains, and exhibits artifacts, including historic flags and works of art. The Georgia Capitol is open to the public 8:00AM to 5:00PM, Monday through Friday and is closed on weekends and holidays. Visit us online at www.sos.ga.gov for tour information.
Florida State Capitol in Tallahassee
Florida's new Capitol building has a rich ancestry, which began in 1824 with the establishment of Tallahassee as the new capital city.
The Capitol Complex, located in downtown Tallahassee, provides a dignified and serviceable headquarters for state government. The Capitol, the twenty-two story building, is home to Florida's Executive and Legislative branches. Other buildings at the Capitol Complex include the Historic Capitol and Knott Building as well as two five-story office buildings for the House of Representatives and Senate.
For 150 years the Alabama State Capitol has overlooked downtown Montgomery from its hilltop setting. This National Historic Landmark is a working museum of state history and politics.
The The Confederacy began in the senate chamber when delegates from southern states voted to establish a new nation in February 1861. A brass star on the west portico marks the location where Jefferson Davis stood to be inaugurated as the first and only president of the Confederacy.
A little more than a century later in the spring of 1965 the Selma to Montgomery March for voting rights culminated at the capitol steps. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made one of his greatest speeches to an estimated 25,000 people.
The state capitol is the third capitol building built in the capital city of Jackson. The first building was completed in 1822, the second building in 1833 and the current capitol building was completed in 1903. The building was erected on the site of the old state penitentiary and was designed by Theodore Link, an architect from St. Louis, Missouri. The building cost $1,093,641 dollars, which was paid by the Illinois Central Railroad by the back taxes they owed the state.
In 1979-1983, the capitol building underwent a complete restoration, which cost $19 million. The renovation remained true to the original building and strived to maintain the original design when at all possible.
The Beaux Arts style building was designed to house all branches of the Mississippi state government. Currently, only the Legislature and the executive branches are contained in the capitol. The judicial branch is housed in the Gartin Justice Building across High Street.
The capitol is 402 feet long and 180 feet to the top of the dome. The dome interior contains 750 lights which illuminate the blind-folded lady representing "Blind Justice" and four scenes: two Indians, a Spanish explorer and a Confederate general. The eagle which sits atop the dome is made of solid copper coated with gold leaf. The eagle is 8 feet high and 15 feet wide.
On the first floor, the Hall of Governors is located. Portraits of Mississippi's governors since the creation of the Mississippi Territory in 1798 are on display. The State Library and the Supreme Court chambers, now both committee meeting rooms, are located on the second floor. The Legislature is housed on the third floor, along with the Governor, Lieutenant Governor and Speaker of the House's offices. The public viewing for both chambers is located on the fourth floor.
The grounds of the capitol building contains one of the 53 replicas of the original Liberty Bell and a statue erected in memory of the ladies, mothers, sisters, wives and daughters of the Confederate soldiers. Among the trees on the grounds are the state tree, the magnolia, along with two Japanaese magnolias. The battleship figurehead is from the second USS Mississippi. The ship was sold to Greece in 1914 but the figurehead was presented to Mississippi by the United States Navy in December 1909.
The Tennessee State Capitol stands today much as it did when it first opened in 1859, and is a magnificent tribute to the people of Tennessee. This graceful structure was designed by noted architect William Strickland who considered it his crowning achievement. When Strickland died suddenly during construction in 1854, he was buried in the north facade of the Capitol.
The cornerstone for the building was laid on July 4, 1845, and construction finished in 1859. The grounds of the State Capitol contain statues honoring Sam Davis, Sgt. Alvin York, and Presidents Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson. The tombs of President and Mrs. James K. Polk are also located on the Capitol grounds.
One of the oldest working capitols in the United States, the Tennessee State Capitol serves as home of the Tennessee General Assembly and houses the governor’s office. The building, one of 12 state capitols that does not have a dome, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and named a National Historic Landmark in 1971.
Kentucky's Capitol is the fourth permanent building since statehood in 1792. It was built to replace the earlier 1830 capitol, still standing in downtown Frankfort, which had become inadequate to accommodate the growing state government. A long and bitter quarrel among Louisville, Lexington and Frankfort over which city should be Kentucky's Capital finally ended in 1904, when the legislature voted to spend one million dollars for a new capitol to replace the 1830 capitol on the old public square in downtown Frankfort. The architect's design was far too immense for the square, so the present site in south Frankfort was chosen instead.
Ground was broken in 1904 and on June 2, 1910 Kentucky's New Capitol was dedicated with imposing ceremonies.
The Illinois State Capitol, located in Springfield, Illinois, houses the legislative and executive branches of the government of the U.S. state of Illinois. The current building is the sixth to serve as the capitol since Illinois was admitted to the United States in 1818. Built in the architectural styles of the French Renaissance and Italianate, it was designed by Cochrane and Garnsey, an architecture and design firm based in Chicago. Ground was broken for the new capitol on March 11, 1868, and the building was completed twenty years later for a total cost of $4.5 million.
The building contains the chambers for the Illinois General Assembly, which is made up of the Illinois House of Representatives and the Illinois Senate. An office for the Governor of Illinois, additional offices, and committee rooms are also in the building. The capitol's footprint is in the shape of a Greek cross with four equal wings. Its tall central dome, and tower roofs, are covered in zinc to provide a silvery facade which does not weather. Architecture scholar Jean A. Follett describes it as a building that "is monumental in scale and rich in detail." The interior of the dome features a plaster frieze painted to resemble bronze, which illustrates scenes from Illinois history, and stained glass windows, including a stained glass replica of the state seal in the oculus of the dome.
On October 25,1836, the first Wisconsin Legislature convened in a rented building located in old Belmont (now Leslie, Lafayette County). A long struggle ensued regarding a permanent location for state government. Eventually, Madison was chosen to be the site. Built in 1838, the first Madison Capitol stood for 25 years until it was replaced by a larger building in 1863. After a devastating fire left the second Madison Capitol badly damaged, George B. Post & Sons designed the current Capitol, which was built between 1906 and 1917 at a cost of $7.25 million. The Madison Capitol is distinguished as being the only State Capitol ever built on an isthmus.
Reaching to a height of over 200 feet, the Capitol dome is topped by Daniel Chester French's elegant gilded bronze statue, "Wisconsin." Edwin Blashfield's mural "Resources of Wisconsin" lavishly decorates the ceiling of the rotunda, which is the only granite dome in the United States. Inside, visitors are treated to the unique textures of 43 varieties of stone from around the world, hand-carved furniture and exquisite glass mosaics.